Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Google+ vs Facebook - A Comparison

Well it was about a week ago that I wrote I would try Google+.  At first blush, I liked the look and feel of Google+.  However, I knew it would take a little time to get the real feel of it.  A week ago, I was concerned that Google+ might just be redundant and unnecessary given that we all seem to use Facebook.  I was wrong.

Google+ has a very different vibe going on than Facebook.  First, I would say Google plus+ feels snappy and looks clean.  Facebook by comparison has a lot of ads.  I wouldn't say Facebook is spammy yet, but not too far from it.  Second, people on Google+ seem much more open and accepting than those on Facebook.  Facebook feels like it is more for personal friends and family whereas Google+ seems to be more about meeting new people you don't already know.  I think this is because the idea of different circles or levels of intimacy and privacy were with Google+ from the start whereas with the original Facebook version this wasn't an option.

I really like that you can search out on Google+ for topics.  This is very useful to find other people that are sharing and interested in a certain topic.  When I was only on Facebook, I never felt that I was missing anything, but now it seems really lacking in the ability to reach out to others.  After all is not that point of social networking?

Of coarse Google+ can feel a little commercialized when you search.  For example I want to find others that are interested in weight loss.  When you search, it seems to me that about 80% will be people selling diet pills versus 20% who are blogging or discussing weight loss.  However, finding the 20% seems worth it because for the most part the people seem friendly and open to conversation.

I am not giving up Facebook anytime soon.  Facebook is the go-to site to find your friend from childhood simply because it is so massive.  Right now Google+ just doesn't have a very wide reach.  If you start putting in your friends from Facebook, you will be shocked by the number of people who do not use it.  However I am certainly enjoying using it.  I am meeting new and interesting people.  I just hope more people will try it out.  Feel free to circle me.  The button is on the top right. What are your thoughts?  Which do you prefer and why?



No comments:

Post a Comment